- "Driller Engine can help you make better games faster and quicker. No more having to write large amounts of code!"
- - Official attention grabber
Driller Engine (ドリラーエンジン Dorirā Enjin ) is a game development tool created by Hiroshi Takajima and Kenjirou Nasaya formerly for the Commodore Amiga but now available on the main operating systems. The engine is designed to have beginners and novice computer users, and especially children, make video games without having to learn a complex programming language like C++ or Python.
Almost all Drillimation games were made using Driller Engine, using programming actions combined with the Driller Engine Scripting Language. Originally intended to be an animation program to animate the anime, Takajima chose to make a game development system instead to develop the original Mr. Driller game. Several notable franchises, including Touhou Project and To Heart, as well as several legendary games by Seymour Games in the 1990s, saw their start on Driller Engine. The program can also export to consoles and other operating systems easily without reverse engineering.
After an initial success with the program, several third-party manufacturers, as well as independent developers, began using Driller Engine for game development. Driller Engine was also very popular in the demoscene throughout the 1990s, with its features attracting some notable demogroups such as Future Crew. Several notable music artists such as Skaven and Purple Motion were also attracted to the engine.
- "Get your students ready for tomorrow's jobs. No college degree required to teach!"
- - Official attention grabber
From the creators of the popular TV show The Drillimation Series, Namco and Drillimation can give you and your students a cutting-edge computer science solution. That's right - it's Driller Engine! Driller Engine can teach your students engaging game design projects that will make them a superior candidate for a position in the video game industry or any business that uses e-learning, visualization, simulation, interactive web applications and graphics-based computer systems. This will teach your students the following concepts:
- Programming - Driller Engine's Drag & Drop and Scripting Language teaches the complete Programming 101 course found at most colleges and universities. Younger students might want a head start on that!
- Art - The games we develop today use a wide variety of art styles. Creativity is one way for creating a video game. This helps students visualize difficult concepts and understand vital information.
- Design - Game design is what helps every video game take its shape. Your students can expand their creativity through wireframing, one-page design documents, and storyboarding.
- Storytelling - Game development is one way of telling a story. Like movies, books, and television, storytelling exists in video games as well. Our internet culture is comprised of visual information, the ability to communicate using multiple media forms is an increasingly valuable skill.
- "With or without code, create your first game in under an hour."
- - Official attention grabber
From the creators of the popular TV show The Drillimation Series, Namco and Drillimation have created the easiest game development tool in the world. That's right - it's Driller Engine! It is the most revolutionary tool for anyone to create the game of their dreams.
- Amazingly easy to use - Load art, music, and sound effects into your game. Write your own music tracks with the revolutionary Open ModPlug Tracker that is also very easy to use. Whether you choose code or not, the Drag & Drop and Driller Engine Scripting Language can really help make your games come to life.
- Playtesting has never been this easy - Playtest your game with just a click. Once you create a great game, you will want to share it with the world.
- Driller Engine supports everything - Driller Engine has support for publishing your game to Steam, consoles, and mobile devices. You'll probably want to publish it to every known platform.
Driller Engine is also the best way to learn programming concepts, game design, and digital media creation for everyone. Originally created in 1986 for the development of the first Drillimation game, Mr. Driller, Driller Engine has been used by over three million independent developers and studios and has powered more than 300 games that won Game of the Year awards, including numerous #1 games by video game magazines such as Nintendo Power, GameInformer, and Kotaku.
|Driller Engine 1|
|Driller Engine 1.0||February 1986||Initial release.|
|Driller Engine 1.1||October 1986||Added support for Macintosh.|
|Driller Engine 1.1.1||June 1987||Added support for VGA-compatible monitors.|
|Driller Engine 1.2||December 1987||Added support for Windows 2.0.|
|Driller Engine 1.3||August 1988||Added support for the AdLib and Sound Blaster cards.|
|Driller Engine 2|
|Driller Engine 2.0||April 1989||Initial release.|
|Driller Engine 2.1||June 1990||Added support for Windows 3.0.|
|Driller Engine 2.2||May 1991||Added support for Mac OS 7.|
|Driller Engine 2.3||April 1992||Added support for Windows 3.1.|
First introduced in Driller Engine 2, the Kisekae Set System, often abbreviated as KiSS, is an editor used for creating characters in Driller Engine-based games. Kisekae is short for kisekae ningyou (着せ替え人形 kisekae ningyō ); a Japanese term meaning "dress-up dolls". Unlike standard computer art which creates or displays traditional art via a computer, the KiSS uses the computer as the medium, allowing the character to be not only be animated but can also be exported into interactive sprites/models for use in-game.
Used in all Driller Engine versions, the FMOD system supports all major sound formats and even includes the ability to play Protracker (.mod), Scream Tracker (.s3m), FastTracker (.xm), Impulse Tracker (.it), and even .mo3 files.
|Version||Mainstream support ended||Extended support ended|
|Driller Engine 1||April 9, 1989||September 16, 1996|
|Driller Engine 2||September 16, 1996||March 5, 2001|
|Driller Engine 3||March 5, 2001||May 16, 2003|
|Driller Engine 4||May 16, 2003||November 17, 2006|
|Driller Engine 5||November 17, 2006||July 20, 2009|
|Driller Engine Ultimate||July 20, 2009||October 23, 2015|
|Driller Engine Ultimate 2||October 23, 2015||still in support|
|Driller Engine Ultimate 3||still in support||still in support|
Driller Engine is famous for their intro movies, which are short animations that showcase the capabilities of Driller Engine by various characters.
Driller Engine 2Edit
First appearing in the Driller Engine 2.1 revision, the intro is broken up into several segments that showcase the capabilities of the engine.
|Multitasking||MIDI version of Take It! Sailor Uniform||Konata Izumi running through a stage hitting enemies with her Lightning Rod.||Enjoy the full power of multitasking.|
|Simplistic Use||Mr. Driller's Theme||Susumu Hori drilling a block to obtain an item.||So easy, even a child can master it.|
|Collaboration||Dimension of Reverie||Louise throwing all of her bullets into a clump.||Collaboration keeps all your files in one place.|
|Fascination||Pushing Onward||Leopold Slikk running and jumping.||The frontrunner of music and sound effects.|
|Exporting||Bad Apple!!||Kagami Hiiragi playing on a Super Nintendo.||Export to consoles easily without reverse engineering.|
|Illumation||Sala De Masala||Hiyori Tamura writing||Tell your story in fun and unique ways in Drilliscript.|
|Personalization||Voyager||Keel Sark putting up graffiti.||Customize your game with Extension Packages.|
|Heavyweight||Brans||Reimu Hakurei firing a barrage at Alice Margatroid.||Tough enough for any genre.|
Driller Engine 3Edit
In early versions, there is no music, just the word "Welcome" in numerous languages flying towards the screen, accompanied by the text, "We'll have you up and developing in no time." In later versions, it is basically the same thing but with Flower Viewing Mound ~ Higan Retour from Touhou 9: The Phantasmagoria of Flower View playing in the background.
Driller Engine 4Edit
The intro animation features a raindrop from a leaf falling into an ocean in a sunset setting, with Western Sunset Vignette from Driller Engine Grand Prix 3 playing in the background, as the word "Welcome" shows up in many languages again.
Driller Engine 5Edit
The intro animation features the camera panning across islands featuring welcome signs in various languages, while Beloved Tomboyish Girl in Love from Touhou 6: The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil plays in the background.
Driller Engine has been critically successful and acclaimed. Seymour Games was one of Drillimation's first licensees for the program. Shortly after Seymour's debut with Driller Engine, other game studios across the Vlokozu Union was using it as well. By the late 2000s, almost every game studio there was using Driller Engine.